hi. i am a student taking A2 economics. i can memorise all the facts but i'm always not answering the questions in the essay. i always put down irrelevant information even thou i have identified the correct keywords and cue words. i appreciate your help.
This is a common problem amongst students and is one of the most common reasons for students failing their exams.
Some Strategies that may help
- At the end of every paragraph write a sentence to answer the question directly. Even if this means repeating the question a little, no harm. This forces to answer the question set. It also makes sure you don't start answering a different question.
- Stylistically it may be rather basic. But from an examiners point of view all they care about is whether you have answered the question.
- Also, remember you are not rewarded for writing quantity. You are rewarded for being specific to the question set.
- Try writing an essay plan. This enables you to put your ideas down on paper. As you write the plan never lose sight of the question.
- Keep it simple. To answer a question don't worry about lots of complicated detail. Answers which get high marks are often just focused on answering the question.