- hi, i'll be doing my AL's soon, and i wanted to know some tips on writing good economic essays. i find it very hard to finish unit 6 within 1 hr and 45 mins, usually i spend about an hour on section A and then take another hour for section B.
Tips for saving Time
1. Avoid useless phrases "In this essay i will look at"
2. Avoid introductions where you repeat question.
3. Only answer the question set.
4. Diagrams don't need a ruler.
5. Use abbreviations, if the meaning is clear.
6. Split up the exam in term of time. E.g. if you have 90 minutes and 90 marks. A 6 mark question should be given 6 minutes.
- Since you are an edexcel examiner, could you please tell me how many points u should write for say 6, 10 and 12 marks.
Hard to say, without looking at question. 6marks might be 2 points. 12 marks 3 or 4. But, I cannot say exactly, you will have to use your judgement. The best thing is to spend the right amount of time. But, the important thing is that if it is discuss, examine, evaluate question 40% of marks will be for evaluation.
- Also, is it ok to use abbreviations in our essays like AD, AS, int. and FDI? Will marks be cut?
AD, AS is fine, FDI is fine. But, int is ambiguous - does it mean international or interest rates?