- The Pound Sterling has fallen dramatically since this summer. The pound has fallen over 25% against the dollar and nearly 15% against the Euro. A reader asks about whether the prospect of deflation causes a lower pound
- Pound Sinks to record low at Independent
- A popular question recently has been - why is dollar increasing despite economic difficulties in the US - basically, other countries are doing badly too and people are selling investments in emerging economies causing rise in dollar.
- What is Purpose of IMF in financial Crisis? - IMF have already put together rescue packages for countries like Iceland. IMF role has been highly controversial
- Relationship between Interest rates and inflation focusing on New Zealand
- The Gap between Base Rates and Bank Rates
- Should University be free? - I don't think so. But, I don't agree that the UK should send 50% of students to have 3-4 years of expensive university education
The Economist ponders the Maldives decision to buy land abroad for when global warming overwhelms their island nation.
"....It’s a buyer’s market in property these days; and, if the Maldivians are looking for an island, Iceland is said to be going cheap. But they may be spoilt for choice: think of all the tiresome bits of territory that other countries would like to offload. The snooty English, for instance, have long disparaged Wales, which they caricature unfairly as being populated mostly by Methodist preachers and disaffected sheep. It might be a challenge to persuade the Maldivians to swap their palm-fringed paradise for Llandudno pier on a wet Sunday afternoon; still, a bit of adroit marketing, focusing on the height of the hills, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Anthony Hopkins (both sadly no longer resident) might do the trick....." (Economist)