Implicit in the question was the idea of 'flawed capitalism' Flawed capitalism is not a term I have used very frequently, but, basically it refers to the market failures inherent in a Capitalist society.
Some of the causes I touch on include:
- Recession in agriculture (agriculture sectors often get left behind when an economy grows)
- Speculative Bubbles - This has been a recurring theme in any economy. The Stock Market crash was one of the most notorious. However, some would argue the US housing market is an example of a similar speculative bubble
- Production increasing faster than consumer spending power
- See also Economics of the 1920s
- A look at how the wall street crash caused the Great Depression